Happy New Year from Oz! It’s summertime now in Australia and Sara asked me give you a peek at the latest beach wear trends from down unda’. Her request was perfectly timed since I was just about to leave on a three-day family holiday to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is home to Dream World, Sea World, Movie World and Wet & Wild and even though we have kids ranging from 6-16 we decided to forgo the theme parks for this trip and just head straight to the beach. We are a family of beach bums and all of us were happy to just hang out on the beach all day- ride the waves, swim, play Frisbee. We started out at Surfer’s Paradise, which is a bit touristy, but perfect for people-watching and Gold Coast style reporting! Then we made our way down to Broadbeach which is more geared towards families and has playgrounds and shaded picnic areas.
Gold Coast Swimwear
Here are the swimwear trends I spotted on the Gold Coast Beaches:
- Lots of bright, bold colors (I even spotted 80’s neon!)
- Prints, prints and more prints: Geometric prints, tropical prints, animal prints and florals
- Sport-style and sun protective swimwear: Rashies for women (rash guard shirts for you American’s), rash vests, tankini’s, boy shorts and boardies, especially for mothers with young children
- Floral dresses, cover ups, and kaftans
- Cut-away swimsuits
- 1950s Retro swimsuits
- Sun protective swimwear for kids (mine included) – More rashies, rash vests, boardies, skirtinis and HATS.
That’s my run-down of gold coast swimwear. What are swimmers wearing at your local beach?